Posts Tagged 'shoes'

Sneaker Justified

My AM90: WTRMLN’s got another feature on FORMATMAG.COM. Though the custom process wasn’t easy by any measure, all this press definitely warrants consideration for doing another pair. Check the MISC tab at the top of the page for the sneaker pics.

However, Steph so graciously bought a watermelon so that we could do a second photo shoot. Here’s the best of the bunch (no after effects):

Crush-O-Matic

Crush-O-Matic is a Funk Festival in SF showcasing DJs, Live Art, B-boys, and fashion (read more here). I’ll be in the city that day, so I’ll be stopping by and showcasing my AM90: WTRMLNs and other art in addition to selling Baduizm prints at $5. Stop on by and show some love. Peace.

Sneaker Obsession

Good news – my AM90: WTRMLNs have been featured on the site Sneaker Obsession. In addition to showcasing custom kicks, they also provide news and updates to everything sneaker – what’s new, what’s coming out, relative clothing, etc. Their feature will definitely send some traffic this way, so it’s only fitting that I give the love back… so check them out! Peace.

AM90: WTRMLN (Final)

Total time – 11hrs 15min. This includes prep work, paint mixing, and painting. Here are some notables:
- I should have used spray paint on the soles (would’ve saved time).
- Decided to not paint “Air Max”. Thought it might be overkill.
- I was going to use red for the final panels, but stayed true to pink. I’ll continue shopping for the right laces.

Anyways, the following pictures can all be clicked for hi-res. Additionally, none of the pics have undergone any Photoshop aftereffects. I shot the pics in today’s light – so what you see is what you get. Any suggestions or thoughts, please leave a comment!




AM90: WTRMLN (9 hrs)

I finished painting the soles and picked up some laces. Here are some notables:
- Using acrylics on the soles requires 2 coats
- I won’t be painting the soles further, deviating from the original idea. Also, the green on the soles is more saturated than both other greens, however, it seems to work out better (no kidding!)

The red laces are really red. I was going to paint the remaining panels exactly the same hue as the laces, but instead, I’ll use a desaturated red. Click on pic for hi-res.

AM90: WTRMLN (8hrs)

Here’s what I’ve done since my last update:
- Painted the contrasting watermelon green stripes
- Painted the soles white (except for the part that’ll have the watermelon colors)

I went shopping for laces yesterday and decided that pink won’t work. At least not the hot pink that’s widely available. I’ll likely go with a light red. The laces color will ultimately determine the red hue for the final panel to be colored.




Bonus: Click on the pictures for hi-res

AM90: WTRMLN (5hr 45min)

Finished painting the tongues. During this process, I manipulated the tongue a few times to cover every visible area. At one point, I had established a severe crease at the base of the tongue. When flattened back out, the paint had cracked off inside the crease. I’m not sure if this was due to the excessive temporary creasing or not allowing enough time for the paint to set. I’ll have to figure this out, as I want to actually wear the shoes in addition to them being art. The creases were repainted.


AM90: WTRMLN (4hr 15min)

Both shoes now have the base green color. I haven’t colored the tongues yet because I’m tired of painting already! However, I colored the inner of the checks black. I’ll have to reline the outer check (and a few stitches) with white, due to the imperfections of the check stitching (the touch up will help round out the hard edges). The decision to color the check might be questionable, but I’m confident that it’ll work out ok.



And here is the updated mock-up

AM90: WTRMLN (2h 15min)

Prepping took 45min. This included stripping the paint, sanding the soles, and masking the air bubbles. The soles didn’t respond well to sanding, but I think I can just paint them with acrylics without having to worry about cracking.

The remaining hour and a half was just painting ONE of the shoes. Weaksauce. Here’s what it looks like so far:


When I resume, I’ll paint the other shoe, and then the tongue on the first. As pictured, there’s a spot where I used the acrylic on the sole. Updates throughout the day.

AM90: Watermelons

The following pics are a pair of once-all-white Air Max 90s. These have been sitting in my closet for 2+ years, and now it’s time to bring them back to life. I’ve customized some shoes in the past, and let me say, it’s a lengthy process (what isn’t?). They’ve already been soap and water cleaned, so the next steps will be stripping the paint, removing the yellowing from the soles, and then taking another cleaning solvent (likely Oxyclean and water) to the fabric areas. Let’s see how long this first process takes!




Here’s what I’m aiming for:


About

Hi, I’m Eric and I created this site to document and share my design process and finished products. If there’s anything you like (or dislike), leave me a comment or send me an email at designby31216 at gmail dot com. Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the show!

IllType dot com

IllType.com. My sister site featuring illustration and typography.

Archives


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.